Custom Search
My Zimbio

Monday, May 18, 2009

Restoring single tables from a backup

Unless you are using replication or some other third party tool, it is virtually impossible to restore a single table from an sql backup. I wonder when Microsoft will release a single table backup and restore function into their SQL releases. This is a long awaited function that I personally cannot wait to see.

For now, I backup the tables I need through a DTS package or SQL script. It would be nice to have the option under management studio to be able to select single or multiple tables for backup. An option that would give you the choice of backing up tables and data, triggers first dependancy objects. User Permissions as well. Many times when I am building new applications or enhancing current supported applications, I have to create backup scripts for existing data. I would like to see a feature that exists for this. I want to be able to have a timing mechanism in place to drop the backed up data within 3 to 5 days after a deploy.

Has anyone else encountered this what do you recommend? What do you normally do?

Another item for this feature would be to drop and re-add constraints if the data needs to be merged back in. My deploys usually go pretty smooth but it would be nice for the occassional restore not to have to include the whole database. I guess that is where replication snapshots come into play, but they are not feature strong and they don't exist on earlier versions of sql.

No comments:

Post a Comment